Erectile Dysfunction: Don’t Struggle Alone. Help is Available!
By Kevin Campbell, MD
Urologist with The Urology Group
The most commonly discussed condition that affects intimacy is erectile dysfunction (ED). ED can stem from many causes, including high blood pressure, diabetes, neurologic disorders or other issues resulting from the aging process.
After evaluating the patient’s condition and contributing health factors, the urologist may recommend treatment options such as:
- Medication: pharmaceuticals that enhance blood flow
- Intra-urethral therapy: medicated pellets inserted into the urethra
- Intracavernosal injection therapy: direct injections that increase blood flow into the penis
- Vacuum/constrictive devices: a vacuum device that draws blood into the penis; along with a rubber ring at the base, it can help maintain the erection
- Psychotherapy and behavioral therapy: consultation around psychosocial issues, such as performance anxiety or depression
Some men who experience chronic erectile dysfunction or who have been diagnosed with Peyronie’s disease may benefit from a surgical penile prosthetic implant.
There are two common types of implants: malleable and inflatable.
Malleable implant: Surgically installed, this implant consists of two malleable (bendable) rods. With it, a man merely lifts or adjusts the penis into the erect position to initiate sex. While it is the simplest implant, it does mean the penis is always semi-rigid, which some men don’t prefer
Inflatable implant: This custom-fit medical device is surgically placed into the penis to produce a natural-looking and natural-feeling erection. The inflatable prosthesis is effective and generally not noticeable to the other partner.
Last spring a world-renowned physician, Dr. Steven K. Wilson, met with me to discuss the latest advancements in this surgery. Several other physicians on The Urology Group’s staff and I are highly skilled in this surgical area.
The most important thing to remember is that you’re not alone in struggling with ED; help is available from The Urology Group.